Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Welcome to Day 1

Hi World, my name is Melanie and like a lot of us out there, I'm trying to Make It In America. I decided to start this blog as a way to document my trials and tribulations building a business from an obscure product idea my husband came up with back in 2008.

It's been a hard 3 years and sometimes I feel like giving up. But I hopefully by spilling my guts everyday for the next year I will find some clarity and learn a little in the process. It can't hurt... I hope!

So where to start? I guess the best place is at the beginning. Before the Real Estate market tanked in 2007ish, my husband was a prosperous Broker with RE/MAX Equity Group, Inc. in Portland, Oregon. I had just quit a job as the head Graphic Designer for Microsoft and Cisco Systems at a Trade-show Design House and was starting my own gig from home as a freelance Graphic Designer assisting Realtors with there personal branding. We had a large house, several vehicles, 2 dogs and a cat but we never saw each other and when we did it was working on fixing up the house aka the never ending money pit! We are both creative people who don't sit still for very long and with the impending market doom in the air instead of brushing off Ryan's newest invention as a hobby, I decided to try and make it into a business. In 2008 we started investing in The RocLok Hide a Key and now 3 years later we're still trying to scratch and claw our way into the marketplace.


Over the next year both Ryan and I are challenging ourselves to write in this blog about our experiences as business owners struggling in today's market to Make It In America. Some days will be better than others, but hopefully in the end we'll learn more about what we want out of this business and our lives.

Welcome to Day 1.

No comments: