Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ho, Ho, NO!

If you have been out to the local mall or even the DMV recently you've probably noticed that it's beginning to look like Christmas everywhere you look and if you're like me you don't like it one bit! Don't get me wrong, the holidays are hands down my favorite time of the year.  Snow, happy little elves and getting together with friends and family that often get neglected throughout the year.  But now that it seems like Christmas is coming earlier and earlier every year the season has lost it's magic for me.

To make it even matters worse, because we sell a consumer based product, we have to start Christmas early to compete with all the big box stores! If I had my way, Christmas promotion wouldn't begin until December 1st. The anticipation needs to be restored to this beautiful holiday!

In our area Halloween decorations began popping up in late August, before the kids had even gone back to school! By Halloween night, you were lucky to find anything left as it had all been replaced by Christmas trees and garland that was already discounted!!! It's getting out of hand.  I mean we were told by one of our vendors that we missed the deadline for the holiday catalog in February, yes FEBRUARY!

On Facebook I hear my friends complain about the jingles in the store, the large Christmas tree being erected in the city square (already) and all the commercials which will be more than played out by the time November comes to a close.  Yet caving to pier pressure I changed our fan page banner from Halloween to a Holiday theme promptly on  November 1st.  Some of our vendors had done so as early as October 28th so I felt like I held my ground a little but still I'm conflicted on how to continue to promote this season.  Do I forge ahead with holiday themed ramblings stuffing my fans minds with visions of RocLok's under the tree or do I hold back until Thanksgiving gets it's due respect and hope I didn't miss eager Black Friday / Cyber Monday shoppers?

I so wish that the commercialization of this season was brought back to the way I remember it growing up. I believe that this recession has made retailers hungry and they are desperately fighting and clawing for their piece of the pie at the expense of their customers happiness.  Perhaps one day there will be a stop to this HO HO madness and we can all slow down a bit and enjoy every holiday equally.  For now I guess I'll have to go with the flow, avoid the stores, change the channel on those commercials and hope that their are holiday decorations left when I feel like it's an appropriate time to start celebrating.