Saturday, September 3, 2011

Another Day in...

Last night we stayed up late and slept in this morning.  Enjoying coffee and the blueberry pancakes I made, I thought about how nice it was to be able to cook breakfast at home again since we have our house back now.  We both have to lose a fair amount of weight after living in hotels and eating out for every meal for the last 10 months.  Melanie has been much better at getting back into the exercise routine, and has only had a few days off the elliptical machine since we moved back into our house.

Although many of you are out enjoying the holiday weekend, we had to go to the office to take care of some stuff today.  It is nice to be able to work when we want and where we want.  Unfortunately the AC at work is down and it flooded my office last week.  The landlord said it was fixed by week's end, but unfortunately that was not the case and today was another hot day, keeping it around 90 degrees inside the shop.  Due to the heat we cut the day short.

Since I did not have a lot of work stuff to take care of at the office, I was able to complete a little more on the truck I am restoring. For those of you who do not know, I am building a 1939 Dodge 1.5 ton truck.  I started with a mostly complete and fairly good truck, then I took a 1995 Dodge Ram and stripped them both down. I will be using the Cummins Diesel engine from the newer truck, the wiring all to modernize the 1939. I love the look of old cars and trucks, so don’t worry I am keeping the look of the original 1939 truck. I am customizing the original gauges to operate with the new engine and show the speeds that we are more accustomed to today. One good thing is that the 1939 engine and the 1995 both have a similar look, the diesel is mechanical and I will try to maintain a relatively original look under the hood.

Because the axles and springs were about 80 years old I decided to upgrade them to something out of a 1999 GMC Topkick, this also gave me full disc brakes, a ratio in the rear that allows me to go over 35 MPH, and a much greater handling capacity. In the end it should be one amazing truck, and very useful in the business. We will be able to load pallets onto the rear lift gate and roll them onto the truck, and drop them off at the port for our international retailers.

I am sure you can tell the truck is a passion of mine and something I can not wait to finish. But the business comes first, so money and/or time for the project is hard to come by. Luckily we have many of the parts we need for a while, and there is still a lot of welding which is mostly time and very little cost.

Overall today was a good day, we got some work done, we got a little of the truck completed and we took a little break from everything. Fortunately the condo we live in now is very well insulated and unlike the shop it remained a pleasant 72 degrees inside. Until we can get the AC fixed at the shop it looks like we will be doing a lot more work from the house. Part of the reason it gets so hot at the shop is because we have a brewery in the space behind us, their place is always hot and the whole complex is not insulated between units. The good part is that even in the winter we do not need to turn on the heat.

Well thank you for following,

-Ryan

No comments: