Saturday, September 24, 2011

Saturday, September 24, 2011


You know, it’s hard to update a blog without internet.  Since we had missed 2 days I thought I would be able to spend some time updating you on our adventures these last couple days while out with family on the Oregon Coast, but I was wrong.  Apparently Wi-Fi is not as widely available out here, something about relaxing, blah, blah… Well at least I still have Word so I can write down my thoughts and post when internet becomes available again. 

So yesterday we spent the day running around the house frantically unpacking the remaining boxes from the fire and getting our house ready to host a party of 12.  Ryan’s extended family came into town for the first time in years.  His grandparents flew in from Alaska and his aunt, uncle, 2 cousins and their family all came from Nova Scotia, Canada.   This is the first time I’ve met his two cousins Emily and Katherine and Ryan is seeing them for the first time since they were kids.  Needless to say we wanted our house to be in top notch shape.  After several hours and much muscular pain we accomplished our goal and for the first time in a year we have an organized house to come home to.  In preparation for their arrival, Ryan and I made 6 trays of enchilada’s the night before which turned out to be a blessing with all the house work .  After everyone had enjoyed their meals and retired for the night we were both in too much pain to sleep.  Seems making 100 RocLok’s on top of all the cleaning had finally caught up to our bodies.  All I can say is OUCH!

Thursday was our first day of “relaxing” after shipping off our large shipment to Ireland.  It was also day 3 of the networking group.  We had thought we were scheduled to speak to the group.  After my realization last week that this probably wasn’t the right group for us, I felt bad about “pitching” our product to the group without intending on joining.  But we had put our name on the presentation list and it was our day so because we are good about doing what we’ve committed to, both Ryan and I headed over to the pizza place to make our presentation. 

Armed with our trusty rock we came in prepared to stand in front of the group and talk about our product for 10 mins.  The usual suspects started rolling in. Most introduced themselves to us as if it were the first time we had met.  Ryan is much more of the social butterfly then I am so he did most of the talking which was good with me.  Once the meeting commenced we learned that we were off the hook.  For some reason we had been passed over to talk for the day.  That was ok with me since I wasn’t sold on joining the group and didn’t want to come off as those people who just came in to sell something to us.  After all,­­ the group isn’t for selling to others but to make business relationships.  Awkwardness avoided!   Ryan presented his elevator speech and received a great response. 

Still, despite the positive reception I don’t think that this group of people is the right place for us.  It would be fantastic if Ryan was still a Realtor and I was still doing Graphic Design as 99% of the attendees are in the service provider arena.  But selling a product is a different animal all together.  Ideally we’d find an intimate group of other small business professionals to grab a couple of drinks with once a month because when you are trying to make it in America time is at a premium.  I know that we have very few hours in the day to unwind and often find ourselves “working” when the rest of the world is fast asleep.  Heck, I’m supposed to be relaxing right now but I’m writing my blog post because it’s been neglected too long.   It seems that my best attempts of relaxing are always interrupted by my brain these days.  Inspiration comes when you least expect it, and I’ve found that I have to grab it when it comes my way.    

No comments: