Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Day that Stood Still

It's funny how certain moments in time seem to stay as fresh in our memories as though they only happened yesterday.  Anyone who was alive in America on September 11, 2001 can probably tell you exactly where they were and what they were doing on that day.  For me the day started with a phone call from my mom telling me that we were under attack.  Not really awake I didn't fully grasp what she was talking about, that is until I turned on the television just as another plane flew into the World Trade Center in New York City.

Living all the way on the other side of the United States I wasn't afraid for my personal safety, looking back I'd say left in a state of shock was more like it.  From the time I rolled out of bed that morning we were glued to the television.  As events unfolded that day it became even more shocking to watch. 

Ryan and I had only been married for 2 months at this point, and were both working sales jobs to pay the bills as well as finishing up our college degrees.  I remember not wanting to leave for work that evening because the grief I felt for those poor people who had been killed weighed heavily on my mind.  I did force myself out the door, however after a few hours at the deserted department store it was clear no one was in a good place and I went home early. 

Looking back on the last ten years I am amazed at all the change that has occurred in my own life. Marriage, 3 career changes, 3 houses, my parents divorce, the loss of all of my grandparents and Ryan's grandmother. It almost seems as though this last decade defined my entire life as an adult.  With all that I can't even begin to image how the last 10 years has changed the lives of those who lost someone they loved on that faithful day.  Loosing someone is hard enough, but when you loose them unexpectedly, without warning, without closure it's a million times more difficult.  My only hope is that those left behind have had time to heal without regret and that the pain they have felt these last 10 years has transformed into fond remembrance for those they lost.

No comments: