Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lazy Sunday

Today was one of those rare "lazy" days.  One of those days when you feel really anxious to go out and conquer the world, but have absolutely no drive to do it if that makes any sense. I have consumed myself with work so intensely over the past 3 years that working has become my biggest hobby.  Sometimes I worry that this new found passion has taken over and that I might loose my sense of fun and excitment for other hobbies I used to enjoy.  

I suppose it is great that I enjoy what I do so much.  I love the challenge of trying to problem solve and the creativity it brings out in me.  I think I've become a better writer and have realized some talents I never really knew I had.  Still it is frustrating that I don't draw as much as I used to. Before computers I spent the majority of my free time creating.  Mostly in the form of illustrating or sewing but always working with my hands.  Now a days, I toil away on this black box researching and brainstorming. A while back I implemented a "no-computer weekend" rule for myself hoping that it would refresh my brain and spark new outlets for creativity.  I definately helped my stress level and rekindled my enthusiasm for work once Monday roled along but I also got a little bored.  The silly thing is I have so much to do around the house its amazing that anyone could find themselves bored.  I think that is why I'm bored, who wants to spent their free time doing mindless chores?  At least when I'm working on work related stuff I'm able to expand my horizons, I can't say that about doing the dishes.

Well tomorrow is the last day in a long weekend and while I'm sure there are alot of people out there wishing that it would never end, I can't wait for business to get back to normal. It's been a long 5 days without any sales which is par for the course on these "sudo" holiday weekends. I say sudo because it seems like marketers have tainted the meaning of the holiday's with ads about their HUGE (fill-in the blank) DAY SALES.  Not even Memorial Day or Martin Luther King Day is spared from retailer need to compete for customers.  The sad thing is that small businesses like ours can't even dream about competing with these guys and so every long holiday weekend we take a week with no pay. It makes it hard to want to "celebrate."

I can only hope that our lack of sales is simply because people are out enjoying their last days of fun in the sun.  If we were in the position camping might have been a nice way to spend the last 3 days but with the high price of fuel and limited funds, it wasn't an option this year. With that, here's to a more prosperous week ahead, onward!

No comments: